Inner working of my mind

My thoughts on life...coming to you live from Las Vegas!

Sunday, September 09, 2007

Back to school

I'm sorry I haven't updated recently...I feel like I've been busy with things since I came back here in the middle of August. Here's all that's been going on since I've been back.

Let's go all the way back to August 20 when I went in for my keys and drop off all of my stuff I had at home. I went to check on my room, and was overwhelmed. First, I should have started by saying that my school was being rehabbed (getting rewired and other construction stuff) this summer. They started in April...weren't done when I went in a week before the kids came. I looked at my room, and had to sit down to plan out my room. I had 8 wardrobes, 3 filing cabinets, 2 teacher desks, and 4 bookshelves, along with all of my desks and chairs. After about 2 hours of moving all of the 5th grade computers into the building (our computer person couldn't do this bc of all of the construction going on at school), I decided I was going to go home. It was 107 and there was no AC in the building. Tuesday I went back, there was no AC, but I got some more work done. We had one work day in our room during our inservice days, and I had someone help me set up my desks and bulletin boards. Friday of that week we had our Open House...before school opened up. The school wasn't ready to be open. I had ceiling tiles missing, and there was a flap hanging down from it too. Good times. Monday was our first day back. I was keyed up, and couldn't get to sleep, but I still wanted to get to school by 7 to make copies and put out name tags and such. At 3:30, I woke to a loudest crack of thunder I've ever heard! There was a really bad storm that lasted for an hour, and I was up for it. I decided I needed more sleep and my kids could go without some of the stuff I wanted to do for them. I woke up and found out there was lots of flooding around the valley, and I needed to take time to get to school. As I pulled into a parking spot in the lot, it started pouring out! I walked into school half wet, with everyone pointing this out to me. I got to my room, and started putting things away when the power went out...Yep, power went out at school, and my room doesn't have emergency lighting. I had to meet my students outside my room, and take them into our den area for about an hour. All of fifth grade was out there with a few fourth grade classes since a bunch of us didn't have lighting in our rooms. I was a little upset since the lights went on 45 minutes before we could've sent the kids home. I was hoping that we would be able to send the kids home since we didn't have power. Damn them!!

It's gotten better at school. Things were coming together slowly but surely. Our computers were just put back online Friday morning. It was fun not having a computer to use in the classroom. Not cool Kool-Aid!! My class seems really nice, but I don't want to jinx it! It was nice coming back to school. It was like being a kid again. I got into school and saw all of my friends that I hadn't seen all summer, and we had to catch up on everything. It was really awesome.

This past weekend Dan and Jason finally came out to see me!! It was really nice to have them out here finally. It only took them 2 years to come and visit. ;) We did all of the touristy things that you have to do on your first trip out. I picked them up from the airport...late...the itinerary told me 11:10, but the flight got in early. Dan thought I was killed in an accident since my phone wasn't on, which I still don't know why it wasn't. Sue and I took them down the Strip right away. I stopped at the Welcome to Vegas sign so Dan could get a good pic of it. We then went to the Rio buffet (which sucked that day) and then back to the apartment for naps. For awhile, Dan and I laid in my bed talking and watching TV while we were waiting for Jason to wake up. That may have been one of the best parts of the weekend. Not being in bed with Dan, but just sitting and talking to him in person, in MY apartment. It was just a nice change. Having him out to see my "big girl apartment". We headed off to the Strip for some drinking and fun that night. The next morning we woke up and made breakfast and decided we were going to go to Madame Tussaud's wax museum down on the Strip. That was actually fun. All except the scary haunted house part. That was not cool. I think that I dug my nails into the guy ahead of me to the point I drew blood (not really, but I gripped hard!) and also made him go deaf. Dan and Jason had me go first, even though they knew I didn't want to go in. I think I was even more scared with Dan behind me grabbing me from behind. I think at one point my shirt was halfway up my torso with him grabbing at me! Uh-uh. We hit up another buffet, this time at Red Rock, after we stopped by to see my Vegas doggies that Amanda was watching. 2 buffets in 1 weekend. My stomach hated me! Oh well, such is life. After dinner we went downtown to see the old time Strip. We had lots of fun down there too. It was just an all-around good weekend with them here. I can't wait til I go see them in DC, or they come back here to visit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home