Inner working of my mind

My thoughts on life...coming to you live from Las Vegas!

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Taking a break to update

I didn't realize I haven't updated in about 4 months. There's not much to say. Life has been okay. Christmas has come and gone, and so has my birthday. It was weird not having mom there on both occasions. I'm doing okay with it all. I have those days when I wish I could call her and tell her about things, but I know I can't. I can call dad, but I know mom would appreciate these little things more.
Dad came out for my birthday. This was his first time out here in 15 years! My has this city changed! It was a good long weekend. I had staff development the Friday before my birthday, so I was able to meet up with my sister and dad for lunch before they went off and gallivanted around town. We went to dinner with my godparents, and then down to the Strip to show him NY, NY. He loved it! We were all wiped that night since dad's plane didn't get in until 1 that morning. The day of my birthday, I took dad on a driving tour of "my" Vegas. I showed him my current school, my old school, my old apartment, and a few other of my places. Then it was time to pick up stuff for my birthday party. It was a good time. I made the spinach dip and provided the cake, everyone else brought something to share so I didn't have too much clean up after everyone left. It was really nice to have dad meet my Vegas friends. Now when I talk to him, he knows who I'm talking about. We all hung out until about 8 or so. After that dad, my sister and I headed to Fremont Street since dad hadn't been there with it all being covered and such. It was weird when dad bought me my birthday yard-long. Then they told the bartender that it was my birthday, so he made sure to put whipped cream up the straws of my drink. The way I was eating the whipped cream wasn't right with dad next to me. We made our way up to the Plaza, with a few stops to gamble, and I had finished about half of my yard-long. We got into the Plaza and played a game, and ended up winning some money. We meandered further into the Plaza, and decided to try our hand at another machine. While we were playing, we were listening to the lounge act. I mentioned to my sister and dad that I had a life long goal of becoming a lounge act here in Vegas (I think that one came up in late high school or early college). Three minutes later, I'm being dragged up to the stage where they were pulling up some guy since it was his birthday. I actually got on stage and sang and danced!! What?! This girl? The one who can't sing unless there's a radio or she's alone?! I couldn't believe it, but my sister got some of it on her cell phone. That night will live in infamy. Dad loved, my sister loved it, and everyone who's seen the video, loved it.
Other than that...life's been kinda hectic at school with our high stakes testing being pushed up by a month. It's all test prep we're doing in our classrooms for the next 10 school days. I can't wait til the testing is over. School will be so much better. It sucks though because dad's going to be out here at the height of stress...it'll be good though since I'll have him to help me de-stress...Plus, my brother and his wife are going to be out in about a week, and then my other sister's flying out mid-March to hang out. Dad and us girls are heading to California for our Spring Break. Dad has it all planned out...it'll be a good time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home